The use of surgical loaner sets in hospitals and surgery centers is constantly increasing and many have adopted written policies to ensure effective oversight. With that influx of surgical loaner sets comes the need for a more sophisticated and error-free management process. The answer to that need? Automation.
Even if your manual method appears to be working, the advantages that automating loaner set management can provide are extensive.
1. Provide the date and time stamps from delivery to check-out.
This allows tracking the sets throughout the reprocessing pathways in just a few clicks.
2. Capture photographs when checked in and out
This eliminates discrepancies between the vendor and facility related to delivery and return.
3. Prioritize the reprocessing of loaner sets together with other assets needed for cases by integrating the OR
This empowers technicians to strategically select which sets and trays should be reprocessed first, reducing case delays.
4. Provide appropriate visibility to all OR parties investing in loaner management, for each step in the process.
The Central Sterile Supply Department and OR can see the status of trays and make informed decisions.
5. Implement reliable, paperless record keeping associated with reprocessing steps and traceable testing to the patient.
This is important in the event of recalls or other incidents such as surgical site infection (SSI) investigations.
6. Improve accuracy and reduce the amount of time the Central Sterile Supply Department staff spends on the loaner management process.
This also provides technicians with easy access to manufacturer instructions for use (IFUs) and assembly information.
7. Control technician access to workflow processes based on competency certification
This ensures only properly trained technicians to perform critical tasks.
8. Provide reporting and analytics to identify potential successes or opportunities for improvement.
If you analyze these benefits, you find that each one meets the trifecta of requirements every effective purchasing decision needs to accomplish in today’s healthcare environment: enhancing patient safety, reducing costs, and improving efficiency. When considering the option of automating loaner set management, keep these key benefits in mind to show your department and your leaders just how beneficial making the switch can be.